This is story of Webkul Software which started by selling small social plugins for joomla then progressed to providing plugins for several e-commerce platforms. Story of Vipin Sahu founder of webkul.
- Started in 2009 by creating Facebook and Twitter plugins for joomla. Sold for 10-15$ and earned in 3 month earned 500$. Used Joomla because they had marketplace where they allow selling plugins, while wordpress marketplace allowed only free listings.
- Created 10 plugins some of them were successful like twitter feed and facebook page feed. Other plugins were not much successful.
- Was supporting customers who bought plugin and asked n return to review and rate them in order to gain trust and attention in marketplace.
- Some of first plugins ware taking 5-10 hours to build. So he built it overnight.
- Quit his day job to after realizing that he don’t learn much there. And started to focus full time on plugins with his friend. Learned some SEO techniques to market plugins that they wrote.
- In the beginning plugins were with lifetime support but then to make business sustainable they offered 6 month or 1 year support. On purchase any plugin customer gets 3 month free support. Also they can choose installation help for separate fee.
- In the beginning hired a person who worked daytime on computer in his apartment while he was sleeping and then at night he wake up and work on same computer. This was in first one and half year.
- Started to generate content to market their plugins. Wrote marketing posts about 5 plugins 2-3 of them were their own plugins.
- Main target for plugins and traffic sources are joomla, magento, opencart e-commerce platforms.
- They constantly add new plugins and new e-commerce platforms like woocommerce, x-cart etc. So they get more customers by supporting new platforms.
- Monitoring big sites like amazon, ebay, alibaba they get ideas for new plugins that can be created for open source e-commerce sites like magento, opencart etc.
- Wrote some plugins for shopify with monthly subscription fee. Payments are handled by shopify.
- Marketplace plugin that converts most e-commerce sites to a vendor platform where other shops can list their products like in amazon or ebay is inspired by such big sites.
- Marketplace plugin sells for 349$ and 3 plugins sold on average daily.
- Yearly revenue from all plugins is 1.000.000$. It includes revenue from plugins, installation fees, and ongoing support fees.
- Name webkul came from old language where gurukul means school, and combining it with web makes webkul as school of web or like temple of web learning.
This notes are taken from interview on mixergy website, you can view full interview here.
Start your Classifieds website Today!
Build online community using our responsive classifieds script