Always want to build some web business but sometime don’t have good idea, idea is not generating income, project is not scalable or lost focus in the project. In my case I don’t get to the point where I can charge people for my product. In most cases it is because I never thought about it at the beginning and didn’t built projects for profit. Key to success it trying possible ideas in systematic way analyzing each stage and outcome.
This is solution I was searching for and hopefully it will solve all my mobile app building problems. and coolest part is they are adding every new platform to the system. For example if I develop for android and publish for iphone and android. Later if bada becomes popular I can publish it for bada without writing single line of code. It is awesome.
PhoneGap is the platform that enables this and their prices are affordable. They also have free version for open source apps.
This are notes from interview of successful web app builder Dane Maxwell on how to build a profitable application.
- Approach new customers by emailing them how one of their competitors or colleges achieved great results by using your software. Use their opinion to show features of your software.
- To come up with great idea ask your customer what he wants that is not in their existing solution. Try to talk them out of using your software by asking questions about their problems with existing solutions.
Infografik with stats for answers website in Turkey. Site has integrated e-commerce features and sold 6350 items. some of them are virtual goods like number of answers or posting video question. Site reached 1 million users in one year. Website has game mechanics to earn virtual money and spend them on virtual and physical goods from sponsors. Check infographic for stats.
- Free makes people think that they have “nothing to lose” since many ignore time as an investment.
- The hardest part is to get your customer to pay you the first penny. This is why it is so critical to choose your premium features wisely
Startup offers a DIY iPhone, iPad, and Android app platform that enables SMBs to create, edit, and manage mobile apps without any programming experience required. You start with a template, customize them to suit your business, and then Bizness Apps makes them native apps and distributes them on iTunes and the Android Marketplace.
Two software developers (married couple) start their own business in 1996. Now they have 20 million $ revenue in 2010. They worked at night to develop their software. From 18-03 every day after day job. Their time tracking and invoicing software as service called replicon.
Here are some notes from interview:
- Collected credit cards to finance company initially, then had debt 90.000$
- built 4 programs for business but was not successful.
Video player story how to make useful product that sells good. Good for video marketing to sell any product.
Notes from interview:
- Search for developer (PHP for example) in related forums, search for active users and contact them directly.
- Video player has many features that will guide you through while you watch. useful if you search for some specific feature of product but don’t have time to watch whole video then this is handy.
- A-B test, to see which viewers convert better, buy product
Here is great interview about WooThemes, how they market it, build and sell it. Many great ideas and lessons to learn. I was very surprised to hear that many people buy premium templates.They have more than 40 thousand customers according to their website. An average theme is 70-100$.
Really inspiring story for making themes.
Striking theme has sold $13,000 worth in 2.5 weeks, and is still going very strong! Well done kaptinlin!
That’s amazing. Stop drooling! In around a month Kaptinlin has made 476 sales of his single item which costs $35. He has also collected 67 followers and 277 comments. I haven’t read all the comments, but the ones I saw were all very positive.